20110823

Psalm 31:7, 8 You saw


Psalm 31:7, 8 I will be glad and rejoice in your love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul. You have not handed me over to the enemy but have set my feet in a spacious place.
Psalm 31 is again A psalm of David and is the fifteenth headed For the director of music. Hence about half the psalms so far have this heading. The last one was Psalm 22. Yet again David is praying to be rescued from his enemies and thanking God for that rescue. Verse 5a is quoted by Christ on the cross (Into your hands I commit my spirit). Several other verses are redolent of Messiah's experience. Although what David says is specific to his own circumstances he clearly saw that others could sing these words and they would have meaning for them too. One can identify with many of the verses. We focus on verses 7 and 8. Here David expresses his determination to be glad and rejoice and that in the love of God. As he explains, God saw his affliction and knew the anguish of my soul. The LORD was able to sympathise. Then he says You have not handed me over to the enemy but have set my feet in a spacious place. This is something every true believer can identify with. We were afflicted, we were in anguish of soul because of our sins. In his love, God saw us and knew what trouble we were in (even if at times we did not). Instead of handing us over to our enemy, the Devil, who demanded to have us, he set our feet in the spacious place that is the Christian walk. What freedom, what ease we know becuse of him. Again and again he does such things for us and he will eventually set our feet in heaven itself. How thankful we should always be for the love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment