20110812

Psalm 16:2 Master, Provider

Psalm 16:2 I say to the LORD, You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.
Twice as long as the previous psalm but relatively short, Psalm 16 is the first headed A miktam of David. There are six miktams in the psalter altogether. We do not know the meaning of the word. Full of striking prayers and observations Psalm 16 is bursting with good things. It ends with verses (8-11) that are associated in the New Testament with Christ's resurrection. David says that he has set the LORD always before him. Because God is at his right hand, he shall not be shaken (see the end of Psalm 15). Therefore David's heart is glad and his tongue rejoices. He adds that his body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay. You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Here we focus just on verse 2 - I said to the LORD, You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing. David, and ultimately Christ, says to the LORD two things. First, You are my Lord. The LORD is his Master, his head and king. God rules over him. His aim is to do only what the LORD commands. Then he says Apart from you I have no good thing. This is an acknowledgement of God's kindness and provision. The LORD is his Saviour and Provider, the source of all good. If we would only make the LORD our Lord and Saviour, our King and our Shepherd, our Master and Friend then how blessed we would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment