20110822

Psalm 30:11,12 Eternal Thankfulness

Psalm 30:11,12 You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks for ever.
Unusually, the heading of Psalm 30 reveals not only that it is A psalm, A song and Of David but also that it was composed with a specific occasion in mind. It is For the dedication of the temple. Having said that, it is not entirely clear when that might have been and the psalm itself does not seem to relate particularly to that subject. In the psalm itself, David reflects on his personal experience, full of thankfulness to God and extolling his mercy. Verse 3 is particularly messianic (O LORD, you brought me up from the grave; you spared me from going down into the pit). The closing two verses of the psalm neatly sum up what David chiefly has to say. He has been wailing, as it were, and has been mourning clothed in sackcloth. However, God has turned his wailing into dancing and he has removed David's sackcloth and clothed him with joy. God has done this so that David's heart may sing to God and not be silent. O LORD my God says David I will give you thanks for ever. That is the way we should all see it. By nature we are in mourning. We wail and we are clothed in sackcloth or at least we ought to be. But God changes our situation. Through Christ, he gives us joy and makes us dance. He intends that we should sing from our hearts and not be silent about what he has done. We should say with the same determination as David did O LORD my God, I will give you thanks for ever. It is undoubtedly how Christ himself speaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment