20110821

Psalm 28:7 Helped, Thankful

Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
 
Psalm 28 appears to divide between David's prayer for mercy (To you I call, O LORD my Rock; do not turn a deaf ear to me. For if you remain silent, I shall be like those who have gone down to the pit, etc. See verses 1-5) and his joyful praise that God has heard him (Praise be to the LORD, for he has heard my cry for mercy, etc. See verses 6-8) with a final prayer (verse 9) Save your people and bless your inheritance; be their shepherd and carry them for ever. Here we focus on verse 7, from the praise part of the psalm. David says three main things. First, he declares that The LORD is my strength and my shield - God is the one who gives him the power to go on and who protects him from his enemies. Then, for his part, David trusts with his heart in this Divine Strengthener and Protector and he is helped. In reaction to this help received from God, finally, David says his believing heart leaps for joy and he is determined to give thanks to him in song as a response to such help. There are three phases then. First, there is God strengthening and protecting, then there is David trusting in him and so finding help. Finally, David responds to this with joy and with a song of thanksgiving. This pattern ought to be regularly and repeatedly lived out in the lives of believers - first the Lord at work, then us trusting in him and responding to his help with joyful praise. God always strengthens and protects but too often we fail to trust or having trusted and been helped we fail to give thanks as we should.

No comments:

Post a Comment