20110901

Psalm 41:1 Deliverers delivered

Psalm 41:1 Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble
The pattern in the psalms does vary even when familiar themes are in mind. The final Psalm in the first of the five books (headed For the director of music. A psalm of David) begins objectively with a beatitude (1-3) Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble, etc before the personal testimony (4-9) I said, O LORD, have mercy on me; heal me, for I have sinned against you, etc. This section includes a pointer forward to Judas Iscariot with verse 9's Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me. Finally, there is prayer (10-12) But you, O LORD, have mercy on me; raise me up, that I may repay them, etc and concluding praise (13) Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Amen and Amen. If we stick with the early beatitude we see that blessing is for he who has regard for the weak. Many think only of themselves and if they have any interest in others it is only in the strong. What God wants, however, is for us to care about the weak and defenceless - unborn babies, the elderly and frail, the sick, those with mental health issues, widows and orphans, refugees, strangers, the low paid, the ignorant, the disabled, the unevangelised, etc. The blessing is a reciprocal one - the LORD delivers him in times of trouble. Given that we are all weak in some way and all face trouble at some time or another, the wise policy is clear for all to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment