20110901

Psalm 40:3 New Song

Psalm 40:3 He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.
In Psalm 40 we have A psalm that is very much Of David and yet is For the director of music as what David relates here of his experience is something that many can identify with. David can testify of how the LORD lifted him out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire but he also prays at the end (17) I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay. The messianic nature of the psalm is undeniable as the writer to the Hebrews specifically quotes from verses 6 and 7. This has to be pressed with care, however, as in verse 12 David says not only that troubles without number surround him but also that my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see. To focus on verse 3 for now, which is pretty typical of the psalm, David declares first his own experience and then the hope that what he has known may be a help and a blessing to others. His own experience is that God has put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. This is the result of God hearing his cry and lifting him out of the slimy pit and setting his feet on a rock. Who would not rejoice at such a blessing? What David had done was to trust in the LORD and that had resulted in blessing. His hope is that Many will see this and so be caused to fear God and to put their trust in the LORD. For, as he has said (4) Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods. He is determined not to hide God's righteousness but to speak of your faithfulness and salvation to all (10). He wishes God's judgement on his enemies but he wants (16) all who seek you to rejoice and be glad in you. He says may those who love your salvation always say, The LORD be exalted! Let's fear God and trust in him always.

No comments:

Post a Comment