20110627

Psalm 119:133 Word Directed

Psalm 119:133 Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.
From verses 121-144 we select verse 133. Not every verse here mentions God's promise or decrees or statutes or law or commands or precepts or words but most do and this is the continued theme. In verse 133 it is your word. The prayer to God is that he will direct my footsteps according to this word. This is a prayer not so much for guidance (NLT) as for the ability to do right. The psalmist is concerned about how he lives or walks, the steps he takes. He asks God to direct (NIV) or establish (ASV) or order (AV) or keep steady (ESV) his steps. He wants the word of God to give the right pattern or shape, the right direction to his life. He is particularly concerned that though he may sin, no sin should rule over him or dominate his life as any sin can do if it is not dealt with. It is a great prayer for holiness then, recognising as it does the need to pray to God in this regard and the need to be lead by God's Word. This is one of the reasons that he is so keen that God should teach me your decrees (124, 135) and why he wants to understand your statutes (125, compare 144). He has already said because I consider all your precepts right, I hate every wrong path and Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them (128, 129). He now prays to go on hating wrong paths and obeying God's statutes. There is again a partial parallel with Psalm 19, this time verse 13, which says Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression. This is how to live then - according to God's word with no sin dominating my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment