20110629

Psalm 121:1, 2 My Help

Psalm 121:1, 2 I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
The second song of ascents is Psalm 121. It famously begins I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. The psalmist goes on to remind himself that the Lord will not let your foot slip. The one who watches over him will neither slumber nor sleep. He concludes with a triple declaration about the LORD. First, he watches over you, being the shade at your right hand and preventing harm by day or by night. Second, he will keep you from all harm - he will watch over your life. Finally, the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and for evermore. As for lifting one's eyes to the hills - that statement could be produced by a variety of reflections. Is he making the journey to Jerusalem and thinking of the bandits or wild animals that may lurk in the hills? Is he simply fearful of the climbing itself, of twisting an ankle or falling. Does he see idolatry on the hills and almost despair? Is it just that the hills are impressive and high but he is looking beyond them? Whichever it is, he asks a good question and gives a good answer. Where is he going to find help? There is only one reliable place - his help will come from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. This is the God who will not let your foot slip, who watches over you and who never sleeps. He is the one who makes sure (6) that the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. He keeps from all harm. He watches over your life. What he knew we ought to know too and live accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment