20110817

Psalm 22:10 My God

Psalm 22:10 From birth I was cast upon you; from my mother's womb you have been my God.
Psalm 22 is a famous messianic psalm. Jesus quoted the first verse from it while dying on the cross. It is one of the seven things he said at that crucial moment in history. It is suggested that he may have recited the whole psalm. Certainly we can say that it was in his mind as he hung there atoning for the sins of his people. Some of the verses are particularly prophetic and applicable (eg 7, 8; 12-18, etc). The psalm has an alternating pattern, switching from negative to positive or rather from expressions of anguish to expressions of praise and gladness that eventually win through. There are seven sections - 1, 2; 3-5; 6-8; 9-11;12-18; 19-21; 22-31. If we focus just on verses 9-11 we see that David begins by answering his own anguish by saying to God the Father (9) Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother's breast and also prays (11) Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no-one to help. If we narrow to verse 10, we see that it uses Hebrew parallelism. The statements From birth I was cast upon you and from my mother's womb you have been my God are virtually the same in meaning though the second statement extends the period of time in view a little and is a more personal expression. What was true of David is true of all to some extent, especially of believers and even more so in the case of those brought up in believing homes. It is supremely so of the Lord Jesus Christ who knew always God the Father's providential care and indeed trusted in him from childhood. No doubt, this thought was  a comfort to our Saviour as he hung in agony on the cross securing salvation for his people.

No comments:

Post a Comment