20110707

Psalm 141:4 Their Delicacies

Psalm 141:4 Let not my heart be drawn to what is evil, to take part in wicked deeds with men who are evildoers; let me not eat of their delicacies.
Psalm 141 is another Psalm of David. Again he is confronted by evildoers and, as he says, his prayer  is ever against the deeds of evildoers (5). He prays pugnaciously the imprecation that their rulers will be thrown down from the cliffs, and the wicked will learn that my words were well spoken. They will say, As one ploughs and breaks up the earth, so our bones have been scattered at the mouth of the grave (7,8). He wants to be kept from the snares and traps of the wicked (9). Let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I pass by in safety he prays (10). However, David seems to have a strong sense of his own weakness here. He begins with a prayer that the LORD will come quickly to him and hear him. He prays (3) that the LORD will Set a guard over my mouth ... keep watch over the door of my lips. He is more. In you I take refuge he says do not give me over to death. Focusing on verse 4, then, David earnestly prays that his own heart will not be drawn to evil so that he takes part in wicked deeds with men who are evildoers. In a powerful image he prays let me not eat of their delicacies. David does not want to sit down and eat with such men but he recognises the draw their sins can exercise. We all know it and must pray for strength to resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment